You will never regret being good to others during their time of need.

 



I was living in the Philippines and working in Egypt when one of the biggest storms ever recorded in history, Typhoon Yolanda (International name Haiyan) makes land fall in Tacloban Leyte in the Philippines,10 years ago 08 November 2013

On 07 November 2013 disaster is approaching the Tacloban area in the Philippines. This evening I am watching cable television in my accommodation at the mine site in Egypt. Typhoon Yolanda International, named Haiyan, headed towards the Philippines and is expected to make landfall in the Tacloban area the following morning. I was worried but knew the house was sound and robust and would protect my wife and the family.

The Philippines experiences typhoons regularly and is accepted as part of life. There was a difference as this Typhoon increased in intensities and would be one of the most significant storms to make landfall in known recorded history. Also, I read that Anderson Cooper and other CNN team members were already in Tacloban. I asked myself why and if this typhoon was far more than what was anticipated.

On 8 November 2013, Super Typhoon Haiyan (known locally as Yolanda) swept across the Philippines affecting 16 million people. More than 28 000 were injured and over 6000 died but the toll is believed higher.

My company allowed me to fly back to Manila the next day. I then made it to Cebu then a ferry to Ormoc Leyte and a four-hour car trip to my house. I could not believe my eyes!

View of the Village on my return

Lucky in my Barangay (Village) no fatalities

I am not rich but understood the needs of our barangay (village). The village has virtually been destroyed, and people needed shelter. While in Cebu, I also purchased and donated a 48-inch chain saw. Coconut trees had been destroyed, and they could be cut down to produce timber (lumber) to provide temporary accommodation. Also installed a few water pumps around the village to make it easier to access water.

I had a generator and allowed all-in the barangay (village) to charge their phones.

My house was one of the few still standing in the village. Relief organizations used our out houses for food distribution and medical aid. I was happy to help

International Relief setting up at my residence



Distribution of Aid 

One thing I did and maybe the most significant was to write to CNN News Philippines. Aid did not appear to be getting to villages outside of Tacloban City

CNN PRODUCER NOTE    Australian resident Robby59, who now works in Egypt, faced a nerve-wracking few days after typhoon Haiyan (Yolanda) trying to contact his wife and her family in a remote village in the central Philippines. Luckily, they were found safe and well. After travelling to the country, he and his wife reunited in the capital, Manila. They went to their village south of Tacloban to distribute aid and food to the family and pick up relatives and bring them to nearby Cebu City.

He sent in this report to draw people's awareness to the smaller villages just as severely hit by the typhoon. "I cannot save all, as that is impossible," he said, "but please some focus on outlying villages for food and supplies ... may we help the forgotten."

- sarahbrowngb, CNN iReport producer


 I must also point out the US Military did such a great job during this disaster. As quoted in the press at this time: “US military ‘godsend’ to ‘Yolanda’ victims” They were the first on the scene

US Military Delivering Aid 

This typhoon event had a significant effect on my life and made me realize how precious and short life is. I had never witnessed so much death and destruction but had to be strong. It is so hard to keep your emotions inside. Even with such tragedy in this world, we wish but cannot turn back the clock. As human beings, we will always move forward in life no matter what events we face.

 Most important we must always help others in need the best we can.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

DULAG A SIGNIFICANT TOWN IN LEYTE AND PHILIPPINE HISTORY

A NEW RESORT FOR THE BUDGET CONCIOUS NOT TOO FAR FROM TACLOBAN CITY (DULAG AREA)

MADONNA OF JAPAN TACLOBAN LEYTE PHILIPPINES